The Mahogany Book Plates
The Mahogany Association’s Classification of Mahogany Figure
We have received many requests for copies of the color plates of Mahogany figure from The Mahogany Book. This book was originally published in 1936 by the Mahogany Association, an organization of American companies that imported Mahogany from Central and South America. The book was last published (8th edition) in 1951, and it has been out of print for many yeras. The Mahogany Association discontinued its activities in 1969. Thompson Mahogany Company was an active member of the association for many years.
The book has beautiful color plates which show the many types of figure and grain pattern that can be found in Mahogany.
For the benefit of our clients and colleagues in the trade, we are displaying the plates for your enjoyment. We apologize for plates 29 and 30, our copy of the book is slightly damaged, and this is the best we can do with these plates. Enjoy!!
- Plates 1 to 4: Crotch Figure, Hightly Figured Swirl, Plain Swirl, Figured Flat Cut
- Plates 5 to 8: Fine Mottle – Bee’s Wing, Large Block Mottle , Plain or Flat Cut, Mottled Broken Stripe
- Plates 9 to 14: From Flat Cut to Swirl and Crotch
- Plates 15 to 20: Continued
- Plates 21 to 24: Fiddle-Back Figure, Mottle and Fiddleback, Plum Pudding (rare), Blister Figure (rare)
- Plates 25 to 28: Plain Stripe Quartered, Broken Stripe, Wide Broken Stripe, Rope Figure
- Plates 29 to 30: Matched Four Piece Center, Matched Eight Piece Center Ribbon Stripe Ends
- Plates 31 to 32: One Piece Swirly Flat Cut, Two Piece Matched Swirly Flat Cut
- Plates 33 to 36: Flat Cut – Narrow Heart – Swirly Edges, Plain Flat Cut – Narrow Heart, Faux Swirl, Faux Swirl
- Plates 37 to 40: Fiddle-Back Flat Cut, Mottle Swirly Figure, Shadow Figured Swirly, Ripple Swirly Figure